Kydathineon is a pedestrian street, covered with marble, that connects Plaka with Acropolis metro and Syntagma metro, via Philellinon street. Kydathineon is the extension of the road that was around Acropolis, that continues from much smaller Thespidos. Kydathineon has one main square, Filomouson, that is surrounded by taverns and cafes.
Aristophanes was a Kydathineon citizen himself, but the street is now famous for Brettos, Cine-Paris and many taverns. Kydathineon is the second main Plaka street (the main is Andrianou), where you can find shops with accessories, clothes, jewellery and a wide variety of souvenirs. Apart from shops there are some neoclassical building worth passing by and see them.
The first building is located in Kydathineon 27, the Paparigopoulos House, the place where the first Christmas tree arrived in Athens. Paparigopoulos arrived in Athens in 1843 as the interpreter in Russian consulates and Former Consulate of Russia in Greece. Ludwig, father of Otto was hosted here, as well as the Russian embassy in Athens.
A notable church is Metamorfosis Kottaki or Sotiros, built in the 11th century. Russians were given in Athens the church in Kydathineon in 1824, which they repaired in 1834. In the yard of Sotiros Church, the body of Odysseas Androutsos was buried after his murder from Kolettis, now he is also buried in Athens Cemetery.
In Kydathineon street was the house of Seferis, and later Konstantinos Tsatsos, Head of Greek Republic (1975-1980).